Ramadan Recipe Call – Response #3 – Cheesy Eggplant Bake
Okay, this wasn’t a new recipe. My step-Mom gave me this recipe last summer and I promptly forgot to make it. Over last week, we went for a day trip and I was telling her about our Eggplant Haul from the Orchard and Farm that we visit to get our fresh veg and she reminded me of the recipe. I came home and pulled it out of the “to try” file in my family cookbook.
I will give you the recipe here, but it was posted originally on AllRecipes.Com. If you give it a search, a lot of other recipes will pull up, but it took me forever to find the one I used. Of course, we adapted it to be Gluten Free.
Cheesy Eggplant Bake adapted from the All Recipes website
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled (I processed a whole bunch so it looked like it would fit my pan.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup GF bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) package shredded mixed cheddar cheese
- Cut eggplant into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat eggs. Dip eggplant into eggs, then coat with crumb mixture. Layer Eggplant in pan.
- In a large skillet, saute the green & red peppers and onion oil for 5 minutes or until pepper and onion are crisp-tender. Sprinkle over eggplant. Pour tomatoes over the eggplant and pepper/onion mixture and sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Uncover; Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned.